I have been planning my sons party for nearly a year, when he decided that he wanted to have a Super Mario Bros birthday bash, I imagined an amazing obstacle course with mario themed games.
I found some awesome flame cotton at Joanns and instantly thought of "fire power" and knocking out the bad guys! So .....
I created this guy! Since Mario is getting more and more popular, but the party packs are really available (at a fair price anyway). I thought I would share with you how I made this guy, so you could make one for your party too!
First I printed out a goomba, I printed two so I cut one of them into the individual pieces
then I cut out the pieces in felt
and the main body as well as stand, out of a cereal box
cut the cardboard down a little so it fits nicely inside of the goomba shape
Lay out the face pieces and draw his mouth with a marker
set your sewing machine to do a zig zag stitch on a button hole length...my zig size is set to 3 here...follow your marker line to create the mouth
for the construction of the entire face, you are only sewing on one piece of the main body shape, not the back side or the cardboard yet
Pin the eyes and the teeth in place, use the same technique to applique them.
Pin the eye centers on and applique
cut out 2 sets of the eyebrows. since they go out past the edge of the body shape, I wanted to make sure that there was enough to sew on without stretching the felt.
pin them in place on the front side
line up the edges and pin
the eyebrows on the "back" will be inside of the goomba, so they are only on the back of the front piece
the face is finished!
now for the back and support.
Line up the white pieces front and back. you want them to be lined up as close as possible because you will be sewing it all together at the same time
applique around the entire goomba with the tan thread, attach the white piece as one continuous stitch
add the feet, front and back just like you lined up the white piece. Then clean up the edges of the white
While I was creating the stand, I decided that I didn't like my original plan, so I cut it in half and will be using only one piece
I appliqued around the whole stand piece and then hot glued it to the back side of my goomba
If I were to do it again, I would make the bas look more uniform with the feet by using white in the same shapes as the main piece...maybe next time
And there you have it! Now I am off to whip out some more fire-power balls!