Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Getting Ready for the trip to the childrens hopsital

I guess I have proven that I am not good at blogging. Its been a month since my first post...but I am trying to get everything in order around here. I am trying to be better!

I left off last time as Angel was just diagnosed and starting therapy. I am going to skip forward some, to catch up to now. When angel was 2 she had her first seizure. It was a matter of her stopping breathing. The doctor x-rayed her chest and diagnosed that she choked on something. It was several months later before it happened again. This time the ER doctors diagnosed asthma and gave her a breathing treatment and an inhaler. For 3 years we used and inhaler and dealt with these stop breathing episodes, thinking it had to do with asthma and seasonal allergies. We made several visits to the ER for breathing treatments and more inhalers.

I call these "episodes" because they are very odd situations. It is very quiet. She will just lay down on the floor, or squat down and put her hands on her face. If you weren't watching closely you would think she was resting or dizzy from spinning around. But when you pick her up and look at her face you will see that she isn't breathing. Most of the time her face turns blue. Her eyes are fixed to the side and she is not responsive to her name being called. I will immediately lay her down on the floor, calling her name loudly while also blowing into her face. If she does not respond to me in just a few seconds I will give her a big breath (CPR) letting her lungs fill and expel. I repeat the process until she starts breathing. Often her eyes will make contact with mine and she will touch my face. The color slowly comes back and she wants to cuddle. It only takes a minute and she is sleeping. She'll sleep for half an hour and wake up like nothing is wrong. She will go about her business and play, while I break down a little and cry. There aren't many people who have witnessed these episodes besides my husband, but those who have agree that it is one of the scariest things in the world.

November of 2009 Angel had four episodes in one day. She had no trouble with asthma or allergies. She had an episode in the morning, after it was all over we continued with our day. While at my in-laws home she had another episode. She had never had more than one in a day so we went to the ER. They checked her out while she sang and flirted with the nurses. Nothing seem wrong so they sent us home. It was only a few hours and she had another episode that evening. We rushed to the ER again and were admitted to the hospital for observation. She had another episode that overnight, which a nurse responded and recorded in her file. We stayed for another day and a half with no problems. The doctor ordered an EEG.

We learned from the EEG that she had abnormal spikes of activity in the back left area of her brain, leading her doctor to diagnose seizures. There are medication possibilities, but they can have harsh effects on her liver and/or delay her development. Because she is so tiny (only 26 pounds) and already so incredibly delayed I am not ready to start medication until I know a little more about this.

It has been 5 years since we consulted the genetics specialists, at that time they were not able to tell us anything about the 8th chromosome, especially her diagnosis. So we are off to the Portland Hospital OHSU to consult the genetics specialists there, hopefully gaining new information. We were lucky enough to also be scheduled with the pediatric neurologist on the same day, They have the EEG scans and will hopefully have a diagnosis and some good information for us.

So I say a little prayer and pack our bags. We are leaving on Sunday afternoon on a 6 hour drive (thank goodness we have DVD players for the kids). We will be staying with family and seeing the doctors on Monday morning.

Whew! got one more entry down! stay with me here, I'll get better


  1. Best wishes to you and Angel! Have a safe trip!

  2. I hope everything goes well for you! I found you through Etsymom forums. My son is 5 and has Spina bifida and Hydrocephalus. He is truly a little miracle boy who wasn't supposed to walk or talk due to the severity of his birth defect. He had seizures 4 times in one day one time. It was the scariest thing that I had ever seen. Only a mother can understand the absolute horror you feel when you're holding your child who is having a seizure and there is nothing you can do about it. I just want to say that you and your family are in my prayers. I couldn't imagine having to deal with seizures regularly. You are a strong mommy!


  3. We'll say a prayer for you and Angel, and for the doctors too. Take care!

  4. Stopping by from EtsyMoms. Following you now. If you would like to return the follow, you can find me at
    Be blessed,

  5. Just stopping by to say hello from

    What a wonderful Mama you are - stay strong.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...